Wednesday, January 5, 2011

CHANGE OF SEASON

My Christmas tree is still up and I am still sewing snow-folk.

I know I am way behind time in the craft world, for I am seeing valentines popping up everywhere!
As soon as we open that box of valentine chocolates on February 14th, the bunnies and eggs will appear in greater quantities.....and I will be starting to sew hearts!
As soon as the bunnies hop away, Uncle Sam and all things star-spangled will be here.
And while we're still swimming & camping in August, acorns and scarecrows.

This is what the crafter has to do if they want to have stock to sell in season.

I did a "Christmas in July" craft show one year and folks just were not into sno-folk and santas on a blistering hot day in the middle of summer.

At another show the day after Thanksgiving one year I added a few fall items to my Christmas stock and a well-seasoned crafter who I respected stopped by my booth and told me "Honey...put your fall stuff away...it won't sell now."   Yep - she was right!

I get so much of my inspiration from nature, so it is hard for me to craft "out of season",
but I am enjoying the pretty Valentines popping up on etsy and blogs and I really admire the planning and hard work that goes into these seasonal handmades so far in advance.  Craftspeople are awesome.  It's true.


4 comments:

Becky said...

Hi. My name is Becky from Ginger Creme Hollow. I just started up my blog. I still have my tree up too. It seems I'm always behind with the crafting too.I don't like working on things so far ahead that you get sick of them by the time the holiday arrives. But if you don't then you just get farther behind. If you get a chance stop by my blog. Happy crafting.
Becky

Carol said...

So things don't sell ahead of schedule at the craft shows as they do online, ay? Interesting.

The Moonlit Stitch said...

Well, Carol, I guess it's how folks look at it...either you are ahead of schedule or waaaaay behind! LOL!!! ~*~ Lisa

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Hello Lisa-Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and joining the Bunny Springtime Challenge - we have a lot of girls participating and I can't wait to see what you create!