Saturday, January 22, 2011

SKETCHING PATTERNS



I've always been a doodler.

In class I would doodle.  When I'm on the phone I doodle.  Anytime I have access to a pencil and paper I will doodle!  And half of the time my doodles will end up as ideas for a pattern.  I know most crafters have boxes or binders or bulletin boards FULL of sketches and ideas.  Sometimes the ideas come so fast it's hard to find the time to sit down and turn them into a pattern.  I've always been amazed at how an idea on paper can turn into a one-dimensional pattern which can turn a flat piece of fabric into a doll or ornament or shelf sitter or door hanger... etc etc etc.  Last week I sketched a little primitive angel on the back of a pink "while you were out" phone message.  I was able to grab some time this morning and the picture above shows how far I got with the trial run.  I'm not sure if I'll keep the idea and try to make more.  I'm getting very impatient and don't like to spend a lot of time on little things and it seems the little things take more time to stuff and sew than the larger projects! 

And time is something I need because I've been neglecting my housekeeping and have contracted.....

CLUTTER!!!!  {insert eerie shreeks/screams here}


Yes.  It is January 22nd and I still have piles of Christmas decor about.  I do have an excuse....my mom fell and broke her wrist and collarbone and I had to move in with her for a week....and then it's been so cold here I don't want to dig the ladder out of the snow on the porch and drag it in and crawl up in the attic and drag down the boxes and pack everything away...but getting back to the point...I was watching one of those shows this morning (on my butt on the couch when I should have been dragging the ladder in off the porch...) where an expert comes into a home and helps the family de-clutter.  Something he said I liked:

There is clutter from the past that you hang on to for memories.  There is clutter that you hang on to for the future (ex: this lamp will look good in my bedroom someday when I get new furniture).  What happens is that the clutter from the past pulls us and the clutter for the future pulls us and prevents us from concentrating and enjoying the present. 

Well...gotta head out into the cold and do some shopping for mom and help her with her laundry...then I'll come home and do some cleaning...or maybe I'll sneak into my sewing room and sew the wings on that little angel at the top of this post...{insert sneaky craft-woman laughter here}   ;0)


3 comments:

Firecracker Kid said...

Well, it doesn't surprise me your quick ideas you come up with. You're an exemplary artist:) She's a cute lil angel.
Oh, and join the crowd with the Christmas clutter:)
Carol

Tins and Treasures said...

Good evening,
Yes, we are taking down our Christmas decor here too. I had a hard time letting go of my Christmas tree lights...and now it seems so empty here.

I hope your mom is ok...prayers for a speedy recovery. Take care ~Natalie

~Madalynne~ said...

I love your cute little angel! I work off sketches too. It's fun to watch them come to life.