Saturday, February 12, 2011

REUNITED!


I've had the urge over the past few days to hit a thrift store.
This morning when I woke up the sun was shining, the roads were dry, the house was in fair condition, the family seemed happy, and something was calling my name.  I told my husband I was going to get some fresh air and would be back shortly.

At first nothing at the thrift shop seemed to jump out at me, but that was okay, I like looking anyway. And something was calling my name.  I was about 3/4 of the way through the store and in the Christmas section when I heard a tiny, tiny voice call out to me:

"Mamma!  MAAAAA-MAAAAAA!"

My daughter wasn't with me and this voice was much too tiny to be human, anyway.  Then all of a sudden I saw him sitting there.  "My BABY!" my heart screamed as my hands wrapped around his chubby little belly.
One of my primitive santas was sitting on the shelf in the thrift store.  A wave of feelings overcame me.  Confusion, sadness, embarrassment. And then HAPPINESS!  He was always one of my favorites and I kind of regretted giving him away.  And now we were reunited.  He was a little scuffed up here and there after being gone for a year, but I promised him I would take him home and fix him up and never try to sell or give him away again.  As I slowly turned the tag I so carefully stained and printed late one night by the light of the moon, the thrift store price jumped out at me:  $1.50.
Lucky Day!  I could afford to bring my little primitive santa home to safety. 

Now, I'm obviously putting a light-hearted spin on this situation, but I honestly have nothing against the person who gave him up.  Maybe they didn't understand or like primitive things.  Maybe they didn't like a lot of miscellaneous clutter in their home.  Whatever the case, I'm just thankful they didn't toss him in the garbage.  And to top it off, I found a pair of folding shutter doors that I've been searching for.  I didn't have enough money on me to buy both doors so they gave me two for the price of one!  BONUS!  I will use them as a backdrop display in my craft booth....when I start doing craft shows....again....someday.  LOL!


6 comments:

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Wow-how lucky is that - to find your little Santa 'calling for you'...all the way from the thrift store - funny how things work out isn't it...welcome home Santa!

Joann said...

It's like when long lost relatives find each other!

Jody said...

Aww...glad he found his way home. He is adorable by the way!

Baggaraggs: said...

So Now he is home with you again. Full circle. Home atlast....wonder what a story he would tell...love and hugs, Robin

Jody @ Adorable Country Classics said...

Oh I'm so glad you found him and were able to bring him back home where he belongs!

Sharon Wink Ormando said...

I know exactly how you felt.....I myself have found my creations at thrift stores.
Some of them have been from when I first started out......and I look at them and say to myself.......DID I MAKE THAT? LOL It's kind of looking at old pics of yourself.
Ya just have to sit back and smile.
Hugs
Sharon