Tuesday, April 19, 2011

BARN STARS

this picture in public domain

BARN STARS.
I love stars! I have always doodled stars, for as long as I can remember.  I've sewn regular stars for bowl fillers or ornies.  I've been wanting to sew up some barn stars for quite a while now.

The house pictured above sports a color co-ordinated barn star  (ohhhh how I love this house!).

What exactly are barn stars?  Most of your out there are probably already aware and have even posted about them, but I am learning and did a quick search on google and found out that they have been around for a while, supposedly being born from the Amish and German/Dutch folks who settled in Pennsylvania.  They are related to the "hex" signs the Pennsylvania Dutch painted on their barns and were possibly a way for a builder to mark his work.  I also learned that different colors stood for different things: for instance, brown signifies friendship.  The stars themselves can also symbolize good luck.

I remember my dad always had a horseshoe hanging outside over our doorways to the house, garage and shed.  I never realized it growing up, but much like the barn star, it was a symbol of the good luck he wished and hoped on for his household.

I'm also interested in anchor-plate stars.  These are the heavy cast iron or steel stars with the hole in the middle which were used for building reinforcement in a brick/masonary type structure, and were built right into a building. 

What is it about STARS that we incorporate them into our lives so much?  Is it that they are symbols of luck? Hope? The heavens? Light in darkness?

Does anyone know why Betsy Ross chose stars for the flag?


7 comments:

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

I like stars too! After reading your post I looked around me and noticed I have a lot of things with stars on them.
Liked your post ~ makes you think a little.
Prim Blessings
Robin

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

I love stars too and have them all over inside my home.
Kim

Me 2 U Primitives said...

There is just something special about a star, isn't there? Remember how it felt to get a paper back from the teacher with a star on it? One of the first nursery rhymes we taught our children was "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". It was a star that guided the Wise Men. And, how many of us have wished upon a star? I don't know why Betsy Ross chose the star, but I'm sure it has great significance. You got me to thinking . . . Trish

tamera-country at heart said...

I too love stars, as you probably have seen on my makeovers at my blog site.
I too have heard that different colors of stars have a meaning.
I will check into the Betsy Ross thing and get back to you.
Have a great evening.
Tamera
Country at heart

Patti said...

I love stars too. I have oa few hanging around my house but I have a large one above my front door on the inside. I'll post a picture on my blog soon.
To your question about the Betsy Ross and the star. Could it be simply because five-pointed stars were more clearly defined from a distance.

Prim Blessings,
Patti

~Madalynne~ said...

Such an intriguing post! I have no idea why Besy chose stars. It's interesting how often stars are used to represent so many different things.

Janice said...

I love the stars also and like you always have and still do doodle them! I can not talk on th ephone without paper and pen to doodle! I had looked up the pirpose of the stars also and did not find the actual purpose of them.
I did find that each color means something:

Black - Protection, also used to blend or bind elements together;

Red - Emotions, passion, charisma, lust and also creativity.

White - Purity, power of the moon, allows energy to flow freely.

Blue - Protection, peace, calmness and spirituality;

Green - Growth, fertility, success in things and ideas that grow.

Yellow - Health in body and mind, love of man and the sun, connection to the God.

Brown - Mother earth, also can mean friendship and strength.

Orange - Abundance in career, projects and matters needing an added push.

Violet - Things that are sacred.

Those are the meanings of the colors! =)