Friday, April 15, 2011

CANDLESTICKS

Every time I hit a thrift store, I try to stock up on old candlesticks for make-do's and pinkeeps.
Above is a picture of my current stash that I took this morning when the sun was streaming through the front window (I like the shadow it casts in the picture).  I love being home when the morning sun is rising, which isn't too often since I work full time and we are generally rushing out of the house in the dark.  Sunshine streaming through the windows in the morning...a simple thing in life to appreciate for sure!

What prompted this picture was my search on my cluttered craft shelves for a very special candlestick I found at the thrift store last year.  It's actually the one in the middle of the basket with the wide base.  On the bottom written in pen it reads:

"A+    This is the best in the class!  Well done!  2/77"

This old candlestick must have been made for a grade in woodshop by a student back in 1977!

What would that make it...35 years old?  Not exactly an antique, but it made me wonder about the person who made it (oh boy...here I go again! LOL!).  Was it a boy?  Pre-teen? Teen?  Did he excitedly bring the candlestick that earned him an A+ home to his parents that day? Did his mother keep it on display in their home?  Was there another candlestick to go with it?  Who brought it to the thrift store?  Did the person who made it or his/her parents pass on and realtives cleaned out their house?  Did they simply not want it anymore?  Is the woodshop teacher who wrote the note of encouragement to his student still alive?

I don't have the heart to cover up the writing or re-do the candlestick just yet.  I don't know if I ever will.  I just think of a young boy's heart being filled with pride and joy (I hope) when I look at it and it reminds me to try and encourage the young people around me and give them a "atta boy!" or "atta girl!" whenever possible.

The other candle sticks are a dime a dozen, and OH YEAH BABY....they're gettin' primmed! LOL!

Have a blessed weekend creating, dreaming, resting, exploring, laughing, healing, planting, caregiving, or whatever you are doing!    ~*~ Lisa

10 comments:

Angela said...

I love stories that go along with all our finds. That's a neat one about the candlestick. I so often wonder why people get rid of things that we find and treasure. Sure glad we all don't like the same things huh? At our GW I think they save all the wooden candlesticks for someone. Never, ever can I find them. Lucky girl that you can and so cheap. Have fun. Be sure to post pic. of what they become. Have a great day and safe weekend.

Tina's Primitive Attic said...

Love your candlestick finds.. Sure wish I could find some once in a while. Can't wait to see what you do to them. Have a wonderful weekend! Tina

Primitive at Heart said...

Love the candlesticks. I also like your picnic basket. I do the same with wooden picture frames. I have a box full of each.I couldn't cover the bottom of the candlestick either.I can't wait to see what you do with them.
Have a great weekend!

Prim Blessings,
Patti

Raspberry Lane Primitives said...

Hi Lisa: I too think if these things when hunting for treasures. Just wanted to let you know that I was the first girl in my town to take shop class...back in the
70's...but I know it's not mine...I made a mirror..that's all I can remember making but I sure did love using those saws... patti :)

basketsbyrose said...

If the little candlestick could talk, you would get a great story! Look forward to see the rest all primed up!

KittyWampus said...

Awww...Lisa - you are a kindred soul. Those are the thoughts I would have thought had I seen that. Bless you...
Hugs ~ Robin

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

Great candlestick finds Lisa!
Kind of sad that the handmade candlestick made its way to the thrift store, but glad it found a good home with you!

Firecracker Kid said...

Aww, that is a fine looking candlestick. They all are very nice too. I know there are alot of things in thrift stores and flea markets that make one wonder why they ended up there.
Hugs~Carol

p.s. My goodies arrived Lisa:) I love 'em and have posted about them on me blog!

~Madalynne~ said...

I always wonder how things end up at the thrift store or flea market. I guess some people think about things as just "stuff" :(

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

I enjoyed reading this post. Finding little notes like that make us think.
Kim