Thursday, April 21, 2011

RUSTY PINS

Not the best picture, but I wanted to share that I haven't been able to rust my pins successfully for a while until this week.  I tried to follow everyone's instructions - thanks to those who post tips on their blogs! But something just wasn't working... I finally bought silver pins instead of gold.  Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I think I read to do that.  Then put them in a jar, covered them with bleach & salt for a day or so.  Dumped out the bleach, poured in apple cider vinegar & more salt and let them set for another day.  Tested a pin...still not rusting.  Then added peroxide to the apple cider vinegar.  Ah Ha!  After another day of soaking, layed them out on a towel and I could see rust!  It wasn't a perfect rust but much better than what I've been getting. 

This is a pic of the only decorating we've done for Easter this year.  Usually we go all out.  I made the bunny a while back and my daughter put some eggs in an old basket I just bought. It doesn't show in the pic, but it is that light victorian green color, which I love. The lamp was my grandmother's.  When we turn it on at night it gives off such a warm glow. 


I wish you all a blessed Easter!

5 comments:

Traci said...

Hi Lisa.... glad to see your pins are rusty... sometimes it takes awhile after draining the "rusting liquid" off for them to rust, I think the air has something to do with it...

Love your Grandma's lamp, so pretty! Turning it on is as if she's shining her light on your home!

Blessings, Traci

Angela said...

your pins look great. I have bought some from a company already rusted but find they were to brittle and would bend or break so easy. I rust my own also. Love the lamp, so pretty. Have a great Easter weekend.

~Madalynne~ said...

I've never had much luck rusting things either. I think it might have something to do with lack of patience on my part.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Lisa, I read somewhere to give them a light sanding before starting the rusting process because they have some type of protective coating on them to prevent them from rusting. I've only tried it once and didn't have much luck but didn't know about the sanding before rusting at that time. Love your Grandma's lamp, that is absolutely gorgeous! Good luck with the rusting (and let me know if the sanding thing works!) Deb

tamera-country at heart said...

Lisa,Thanks for the comment on my bird house lamp. I have many other things to redo, but so little time.
Love those pins!
I have been wanting to try the rust technique on some things but I have been waiting for good weather so I can do it outside. I'm glad yours turned out for you. The rusty pins look good on dolls, pin keeps and pillows. I also like the lamp. I have a white hobnail one that I picked up at a garage sale. It still is in the closet. I may put it out when I find some things to display with it.
Have a Great Day!
Tamera
Country at heart