Friday, April 22, 2011

WORKSPACE

I've learned that when I can sit down at my sewing machine...or at least find it amongst fabric, doll body parts and who knows what else...it's easier to make progress on a project.

Above is a pic of the little area where I craft.  My husband was sweet enough to put up some shelving a couple of years ago (mostly because he couldn't walk in the room because all my craft supplies were on the floor in boxes!) Boy, do I need to purge the items it holds...but I don't know where to start! 

My sewing machine is a $99 special from WalMart he surprised me with when we moved back home after he got out of the Air Force back in 1993.  You know, I've never oiled it or had it worked on...I don't really even remember dusting it...LOL!  It's been good to me and I love it so much.

The desk it sits on is a simple piece of furniture that my mom's dad made for her YEARS ago.  The rocking chair to the left is where I generally fall asleep at night before I stumble off to bed.  It was my mom's too and it's what she rocked me in as a baby.  Worse for the wear, and not worth anything, but I love it!

Some of my childhood toys sit on the top shelf.  Again, not worth anything, but when I look up at them from time to time it reminds me to think/feel with the heart of a child when possible:  love your dollies, never trade your best marbles, get excited for the holidays, don't get wound up too tight (that's when things break)!

But back to adulthood...time to clean my craft area...where to start?!?

13 comments:

~Madalynne~ said...

Such sweet memories you have attached to your work space.

I'm in the process of a purge/clean up too. The up side is finding things I forgot I had!

Prims By The Water said...

You have a more organized workspace than I do Lisa....Mine is the kitchen table, the coffee table, the arm of a chair...just depends where I am at the time...LOL. I have fabric in most of my prim cabinets. Bob has tried many times to get me organized, but I think he finally gave up. Janice

Angela said...

It's so nice to be surrounded by things that you love, and items that bring back such precious memories. Mr.P. put built-ins in my craft room last year. I think I can relate to you concerning my craft room. No matter how I clean, I feel like I should be getting rid of more stuff. Have fun, and Have a blessed Easter weekend.

TheFairyyellowbugQueen said...

I love this post. What a beautiful workspace!! Happy Easter, *smiles* Norma. x

TheCrankyCrow said...

I wouldn't change a thing Lisa! It looks (and sounds) wonderful just the way it is...and if it works for you (which obviously it does given your creations), why change it? Love your childhood rules and all the memories and love you have in that area....Smiles & Hugs (and Happy Easter!) ~ Robin

Willow Creek Crossing said...

Lisa,
I say whatever helps us to be more creative while we are doing something we love! Your room kinda looks like mine, and I'm sure like lots of others who are creative! For some reasons it must help us be more creative! Don't change it! Wonderful memories!
Smile!
~Donna~

Raspberry Lane Primitives said...

what fabulous memories! I too need to re-organize my craftroom!
patti :)

Tins and Treasures said...

Good evening, Lisa,
I loved visiting your sewing studio...I am looking forward to the summer and having some time to organize and get acquainted with my sewing machine. I have stuff all over the floor too!

Have a blessed Easter. ~Natalie

rachel said...

I love that you have things that give you good memories in your craft space! Good luck with the cleaning/purging :)

Green Creek Primitives said...

Love your sewing room, I love you have added those special touches that remind you of special people and events in your life. I have a sewing room with a large farm table and a little sitting area were I can work on projects and leave them until I finish them. I love seeing were people create, thanks for sharing yours. Vicky

tamera-country at heart said...

Lisa, A messy craft room is a sign of a creative mind. If you are like me, you probably know where everything is at. I say: You move it, you lose it. That's what happens to me.
Tamera
Country at heart

Barb said...

Lisa,
Love your work space!
I hope you and your family have a happy and peaceful Easter!
Enjoy,
Barb

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

I know where your coming from all my stuff is in boxes on the floor. I really need to get organized and don't know where to start.
It's nice to have sweet memories surrounding you while you create.
Prim Blessings
Robin