Wednesday, May 4, 2011

SALTBOX

Nehemiah Royce House, 538 North Main Street, Wallingford, Connecticut. Built 1672; the oldest house in Wallingford. George Washington addressed local citizens from this site in 1775. Picture taken Feb. 2006; used by permission.

Yeah...just wanted to post a picture of my new house...pffffftt!  I WISH! LOL!

I always wanted to live in an old farmhouse out in the country.  A couple of friends even wrote in my high school yearbook "hope you find your farmhouse" (and that was quite a while ago!)
I am sooo thankful for my little house in the woods.  It is far from "farmhouse" - just a manufactured home - but again, I am thankful for it!

But it is still fun to dream!  And in recent years I've taken a liking to Saltbox houses also.
I did a search on Saltbox houses and found some info on Wikipedia.org.
I learned that the Saltbox (generally two stories in the front and one story in the back...built in a "lean-to" fashion with a central fireplace) takes its name from a wooden lidded box in which salt was once kept.

The Saltbox is American Colonial in style and originated in New England, becoming popular during Queen Anne's tax on two story homes.

I love the color of the house in the pic above! I would love to ramble through the rooms and sit in front of the huge fireplaces at night and plan roadtrips to find period pieces for it.  I know this probably won't happen, but that's okay because I love to dream!  It's ALWAYS good to dream!

Hope you are enjoying your dreams this week - take care!

~*~Lisa

14 comments:

Traci said...

Hi Lisa... I was headed to pack my bag and move in with ya, LOL! Love that Saltbox!

I too love Farmhouses and would even enjoy living in a revamped barn for that matter...

Dream Big, a great motto to live by..I do it quite often

Blessings, Traci

rachel said...

What a great house! I'd love to have a farmhouse or any house in the country for that matter :) but I'm thankful I have a roof over my head (even if it is in town -lol). The color of that house is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

NancyD said...

Oh I love it too!!! I wish...not going to happen here for sure. To even see a saltbox house is very uncommon where I live. :( But I love to dream too!

~Madalynne~ said...

Such a pretty house! I'm always day dreaming about my "forever home". Sometimes it's a farmhouse and more recently I've been admiring the craftsman style. I love a house with character!

cottageprims said...

Oh I'd live there for sure..dream..Beautiful.Warm Blessings!~Amy

Tammy ~ A Primitive Place said...

Gorgeous!
Tam

lilraggedyangie said...

Lisa,
Thats a great saltbox and Im so in love with that color! Sounds like if you get that saltbox in the country you better get one with a huge barn to revamp into living quarters , so all your FAVE PRIM GAL PALS can move in!!!! lmbo Enjoy your day!
hugs
lil raggedy angie

TheCrankyCrow said...

I'm dreaming right along with ya Lisa Girl....Yikes - that photo is awesome. And to think that it was already over 100 years old when George Washington was there.!! Yikes. (Bet it doesn't have a dishwasher tho - just like me!) ;o) Smiles & Hugs, Robin

Prims By The Water said...

I have always wanted to live in an old farmhouse too out in the country like my grandparents...but for now my old house by the water is a good second. Have always loved the period style homes just like this stunning red saltbox. Thanks for sharing the history of these mighty fine homes. Take care, Janice

Trace4J said...

Beautiful. i would love to live there tooo..Dreaming is fun.
Granny Trace :)

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Maybe some day Lisa ~ but it is nice to dream.
I like the look of the house too.
Keep dreaming!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Morgan said...

Wow, Lisa! What a dream come true THAT place would be, for *me* too! I'm with Traci! I'm ready to pack my bags! lol I adore the fact that you researched salt box houses...amazing!

Never stop dreaming~I'm a dreamer too. My youngest one (just turned seven) is FOREVER talking about the farm she is going to have some day-with chickens (so we don't have to buy expensive organic eggs from the store), and cows (so we don't have to pay for our raw milk anymore), gardens, and crops -the whole nine! She says we can come live with her, so as long as she remains as stubborn and as ambitious as she is now, I'm thinkin' in oh, about 15 years or so? ...my dream of farmhouse livin' just might come true! ;)

Blessings,
Morgan♥

Firecracker Kid said...

Oh you and me both Lisa. I'm making the best home in my little ranch style that hubby built:)
xoxo
Carol

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

I love that house too! It's fun to dream about those type of things!!
Kim