Monday, June 20, 2011

QUEST


Spent the weekend camping where the most urgent quest was to roast and consume the perfect marshmallow!


This is our very VINTAGE Holiday Rambler.  Last year when my husband's terminal shut down, the closest terminal he could transfer to was almost four hours away.  He works long days so that would leave no time to travel home.  He was a week away from literally sleeping in his car to keep his job because we couldn't afford a hotel room every night so we found this camper along the side of the road.  He lived in it in an abandoned parking lot.  When winter hit he had to use a propane torch to defrost the door hinges to get in!  I'm proud of him for doing what he had to in order to keep working.  We were blessed that he found another job that allows him to be home every night and instead of selling the camper we gave camping a shot!

This is the view of the road from our site.  The campground is pretty rustic with no water or electric hookup.  there are 52 sites and only 7 were occupied - all with vintage campers like ours! LOL!

These stairs lead up to the upper level of campsites.  We were on the lower level right on the lake so my daughter could go swimming.  I could make it halfway up before stopping for a rest - they were pretty steep!  The hill was filled with chipmunks - they were fun to watch.  And at night hundreds of fireflies put on quite the lightshow - it was so magical.

These dragonflies flew over the lakeshore all day long.  There were so many of them! And they were huge! My camera batteries died just as I was taking a picture of the lake, and I wanted to get a better pic of a dragonfly because their colors were much more brilliant than this picture shows.

Don't know what this stuff growing over the fence was but it smelled fresh & sweet!


Finally! I did bring my muslin & stuffing with me to camp and was able to get this far on one of the old dollies I'm making.  Thanks for visiting my campsite with me!  I have to get ready for work now...it's taken over 1/2 hour to get this post done!  I look forward to being able to catch up on everyone's blogs soon!
Keep on creating!

~*~ Lisa 

13 comments:

cockermom said...

The best kind of camping! Looks like a wonderful weekend and such a pretty place!

tamera-country at heart said...

Lisa,
Looks like a wonderful quiet spot to spend the weekend. I love exploring the woods. Glad you had a nice weekend.
Tamera
Country at heart

Sabrina @Falling Leaf Woodworkers and Primitives said...

Lisa, what a great story about the camper. I am glad things worked out and your hubby got a job closer to home. Camping is always fun and so nice to see nature at it's finest.
Sabrina

Jon Lee said...

Lisa,

This looks like an ideal weekend. The camper has definitely served several functions and now gets to be enjoyed by the family. I love to look at dragonflies. I took some pictures of them too. Their wings are quite irridescent. Your husband sounds like an amazing man. I enjoyed your post.

rachel said...

Looks like a great place to camp & relax! Glad you had a good time! Hope you have a great week!

Prims By The Water said...

OH I love roasted marshmallows...yum my fav. Your campsite pics look like somewhere I would like to visit. Cannot wait to see what your dollie ends up being! Glad you had an enjoyable weekend, and I'm sure hubby is glad he does not have to sleep in the camper every night anymore. Take care, Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Looks like a wonderful area to camp! I haven't camped in years (we were tent campers and seemed like something always went wrong...I finally realized, I'm not much for camping!) But I love the photos you shared....I'm surprised your hubby was willing to sleep in that camper willing after having spent so much time in it! Have a super duper week!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

~Madalynne~ said...

That's one great hubby ya' got there . . . I love a guy who knows how to take care of business.

And how sweet that the camper finds a new use for some family fun!

Traci said...

Hi Lisa, Sounds like a mighty fine weekend to me! Peace & Quiet, Camping and Marshmallows...

Looking forward to seeing your finished doll...

Blessings,
Traci

Angela said...

Lisa, Love the pictures. You make me miss camping while looking at these pictures. We use to camp many years ago and I loved it. You can meet some of the nicest people. Looks like a beautiful place you camped at and boy those marshmellows look great. Glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Trace4J said...

Cool post. I love camping. My hubbie and I used to take our kids when they were little. I just said to him the other day I would like to purchase another camper and take weekends away with the Piper. Our furry kid :)
Oh roasted marshmallows..Fire..
Hugs Trace
www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Patti said...

Yummy! Roasted marshmallows!!!!
I miss going camping. It was so relaxing and peaceful.

Prim Blessings,
Patti

lilraggedyangie said...

Lisa,
Looks like fun ! camping makes great family memories it also allows for your mind to think clearly to create! Thanks for sharing ...too bad you didnt share your marshmallows for real!:0( hugs lil raggedy angie