Thursday, September 8, 2011

SPAM CHALLENGE!

This is me in the kitchen.
Without the blonde hair, pink dress and red lipstick.
The smoke and fire coming out of the oven is right on though!

I was surprised to learn how many blog-friends who commented on my SPAM post really dislike the stuff!
My friend Patti over at Primitive at Heart is always sharing awesome recipes with me that she and her husband are cooking up.  She shares a lot of recipes in her older posts - I think she should start a recipe page!
I don't share recipes because I don't cook or bake well at all, but I would like to issue a CHALLENGE to all of the SPAM haters out there! LOL!  Play with this a bit and let me know what you come up with!  Was it worth it?  Did your family like it?  What twist did you put on it?

Mix the following, pour in your favorite casarole dish and cook at 375 for about 40 minutes:

1 or 2 cans SPAM cut in small cubes

Cooked egg noodles
(1/2 bag for small dishes - use your judgement)


2 cans of cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup

1 or 2 cans or a frozen bag of your favorite veggie(s)
(sweet peas, broccoli, mixed, etc.)


Shredded cheese or parmeson cheese or both

There ya have it.  Are you game?



10 comments:

~Madalynne~ said...

You can mince it, chop it, slice it. You can boil it, bake it, fry it. But unfortunately . . . it's still SPAM.

PS: Hiding it in cream soup doesn't help either ~ LOL

BumbleBeeLane said...

Not me! I don't care for the gelantinous stuff at $4 a can I just wait for the real ham slices to go on sale.I'd eat it if we were on rations but not willingly..smile...If you like spam the recipe sounds good and easy.~Amy

Trace4J said...

Well I have a secret..We ate spam lots as a kid. We didnt have alot of money and fried with melted cheese on bread.I have been married over 27 years now. HAVE not eatten it since and probably never will. Just the thought of it ooozing out of that can makes me sick, but when I was a kid I did not mind it all. I think I really must have been hungry.lol
Hugs Trace
www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

The Moonlit Stitch said...

LOL! Oh my goodness girls! I didn't realize slimy 'meat' in a can was such a turn-off! Well...maybe I did...~*~Lisa

Primitive at Heart said...

I use to have to eat Spam as a kid. Not by choice. My mom use to make a casserole with it or just slice and fry it. The only way I could eat it was to smother it in mustard with a big glass of chaser. It would helped it go down a lot easier....lol

Big Hugs,
Patti

TheCrankyCrow said...

This is too funny...Is the challenge open to those of us who don't actually hate the stuff? ;o) We ate our share of it growing up as well - we ate just like Granny Trace said (fried, on bread, with cheese) and also used it as side meat (fried as well) with eggs....Guess nothing is so bad if you fry it in enough butter....And, yes, I will admit I have a can of it in my pantry "just in case" although I haven't had it in years....What's up with this Girlfriend - first you make me confess to leg warmers, and now Spam??? Yikes! I gotta stop visiting you! ;o) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Prims By The Water said...

I'm with Trace Lisa, I had to eat Fried Spam with chesse sandwiches not only on gramms B's farm, but my own parents house when my dad was laid off...so no to spam for me I'm afraid. Take care, Janice

peggy said...

Hey Lisa, Spam has been around almost as long as I have, so it can't be all bad. I was two when it was first introduced and have eaten my share as a kid. I'll have to pick up a can for old times sake. (and it's made in USA).

Traci said...

Lisa, this is a hoot!

But, I'm going to turn down the challenge. I'd eat SPAM if I was starving but I'm not starving yet, LOL...

Blessings,
Traci

Jackie said...

Points for trying but I don't think I will be trying your recipe. Not when we have a freezer full of home grown meat!!