Wednesday, January 4, 2012

NEED SEWING MACHINE HELP

Anyone out there know how to keep the needle down on a Singer Fashion Mate 5500?

My sis sent me a new machine for Christmas.  It has fancy stitches and an automatic threader...holy cow...I've been sewing on a 90$ Singer for 18 years and am not familiar with these new diva machines.

It took me 3 hours to find the bobbin case.  I had to search for a video on Youtube to find this out.

Now when I am stitching and want to leave the needle in the down position to lift the presser foot to turn or "pivot" the fabric on a curve or corner, the needle won't stay down!  I know there has to be a way to do this, but I have searched Singer's support FAQ's, sent them the question with no response yet, Googled it, read the manual 10 times, blah blah blah.  

Feel kind of stupid asking, but am so frustrated at this point I don't care!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated - thanks!

~*~Lisa

11 comments:

TheRustyThimble said...

Lisa reach behind you foot, there should be a lever in the back to lift the foot up and down

Brenda

TheRustyThimble said...

I am not sure of this certain machine but the newer singers have the lever on them
Brenda

lilraggedyangie said...

wish I could help but my only advice at this point would be get a hammer ...whack it a good one and yell at it bunches unplug and go back to the old one lol Good Luck hope someone can help hugs lilraggedyangie

OldeAnniePrimitives said...

Hope you figure it out! But make sure you don't get rid of your old machine. I love my new machine (after I finally figured it out), but I was quick to get rid of the machine I'd had for 30 years. Big mistake...they just don't make 'em like they use to! :) ~~Annie

peggy said...

Someone gave me a fancy Viking. I finally gave up as it did this incredible fluke while I was sewing. I hope you can get an answer and let us know. I am really curious. Maybe you could go to a Singer store and make a scene and someone there will help.

Traci said...

LOL, I think Angie has it "nailed"..I can offer no help...the machine I use is 59 years old this year (no fancy stitches for me ;) But it is a Singer! Hugs, Traci

Green Creek Primitives said...

Can't help you Lisa, wish I could. I just have a plain machine, sounds frustrating though I might be inclined to take a hammer to it like Angie said. Don't you just hate it when all you want to do is sit down and sew, but know there is a problem, throwed out my last machine got tired of working on it every time I got ready to work on a project. Hope you find the answer. Vicky

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Sorry Lisa,
I don't know how to answer that one, the needle should stay down when you lift the lever to turn. I'm confussed.
I hope you can figure it out.
Prim Blessings
Robin

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

Sounds like a wonderful sewing machine!! I hope you get your answer soon, my machine is no where near that fancy.
Kim

Maureen said...

Turning the hand wheel won't keep the needle down in the fabric?

Prims By The Water said...

With my new Singer Lisa, I had the same problem. I just learned to stop sewing with the needle in the down position when I was coming to a curve, or else move the wheel until the needle comes down and turn my fabric. Hope this helps. Janice