Friday, March 9, 2012

SAY NO TO PINK SLIME FOR OUR SCHOOL KIDS



http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-usda-to-stop-using-pink-slime-in-school-food


"Pink slime" is the term used for a mixture of beef scraps and connective tissue (formerly used only for pet food and rendering) that is treated with ammonia hydroxide to remove pathogens like salmonella and E coli. These so-called "Lean Beef Trimmings," are produced by Beef Products, Inc.

Even apart from safety concerns, it is simply wrong to feed our children connective tissues and beef scraps that were, in the past, destined for use in pet food and rendering and were not considered fit for human consumption.

Due to public outcry, fast food giants like McDonald's and Burger King have stopped using pink slime in their food. But the federal government continues to allow its use in school food and has just authorized the purchase of ground beef which collectively contains an additional 7 million pounds of pink slime for consumption by our nation's children.
Tell the USDA to STOP the use of ground beef containing pink slime in the National School Lunch Program!

[You can follow the progress of this petition, including the latest media coverage and more information on pink slime, on my daily blog -- The Lunch Tray (www.thelunchtray.com)]

The above info was taken from www.change.org

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That is just disgusting! I signed the petition ~ thank you for sharing - I hope it stops!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Oh my gosh Lisa ~ to weird that you are posting about this. I just saw something on t.v. the other day about the pink slim and they showed how it was made. It really made me sick to my stomach. How can they do this???
Thanks for sharing and making everyone aware on whats going on. I think cold lunch is always better ~ parents would have better control on what their children eat.
Prim Blessings
Robin

earlene said...

I saw that story on the news and it was very disturbing. How do they get away with it? It is called GREED! Just like the rest of th BS that is going on in this country.

Prims By The Water said...

Bob and I were just talking about this the other day. I had watched Jamie Oliver the chef from England doing a sement on this...i was mortified watching the entire process, it almost made me vomit. We do need to let what our govt is allowing to happen. Great post! Take care, Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh...NASTY!!! I was really hoping this was about red jello that had melted or something. Argh... I'd like to say thanks for sharing....but I just ate. ;o Hugs ~ Robin (Will definitely be checking this out more.....)