Tuesday, March 13, 2012

STOMPIN' GROUNDS & WIPS

This is a picture of the beach about 5 minutes down the road from where I grew up that I took a few weeks ago (the camera was still set on sepia and I didn't realize it LOL)

Here is a picture of the same area of beach I took tonight.  The ice is broken up and melting.  The arrows in the picture are pointing to the two towers of the Mackinac Bridge that connects the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan.  (you can click on the pics to enlarge)  On the horizon to the right is Mackinac Island. I have a special place in my heart for the bridge as my dad was one of the ironworkers who helped to build the "Big Mac".

This is a view from the middle of the beach.  If you look really really hard you can see a lighthouse in the middle of the picture.  Beyond that is Bois Blanc ("bob-lo") island.  

Here is a picture to the right of the beach.  You can see the "crib light" at the end of the breakwall to the right.  Just beyond the breakwall is the mouth of the river that runs through our town.
The sun was sitting when I took the last three pictures-it's interesting to see the difference in the sky.

I guess growing up I never realized how beautiful Lake Huron and the Straits of Mackinac are and how blessed we are to have this in our "backyard".  Soon this empty beach will be filled with sunbathers and laughing children.  Iron ore freighters and sailboats ferryboats will be floating in the distance.

Here is a pic of some WIPS.  I have a lot of clipping and turning and stuffing to do!
Thanks for letting me share my stompin' grounds and WIPS with you! Can't wait to see what you are working on this week!

~*~Lisa


9 comments:

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Beautiful pics Lisa!!!
Why didn't I know you lived in MI ~ I must of missed something along the way???
Can't wait to see all the wonderful creations your working on. I have so many things started it will be next spring by the time I get them all done!LOL
Happy Crafting!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Patti said...

Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures. Their breathe taking.
I see how you are. Taking all the credit for all the hard work the kitty and guinea pigs have done....lol

Prim Blessings,
Patti

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

Beautiful pictures, Lisa! I wanted to get up North, when I was up there, last Summer, but didn't have the time. I want to go out to the island, again. There is not enough time when you try to see family in 2 states on the same trip! Thanks for sharing, sure makes me yearn for home!

Blessings~Karen

Angela said...

Love the pictures Lisa. You are so fortunate to have such beautiful bodies of water close to you. Would love to take a walk closse to the water on a foggy cool morniing. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you have been busy. I so need to get the craft room clean and start some new projects. Have a great day.
Angela

Trace4J said...

Beautiful photos. I love the sepia. Your backyard is amazing. I can see a bit of lighthouse too.
Hugs Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Hi, Lisa:
I never realized how beautiful this area of the country truly is. I thought the lakes were, well, lakes.
They're huge, like our beaches here!
Just gorgeous. What are all of those bodies going to be?
Hugs,
Susan

basketsnprims said...

Hi, Lisa ~ small, small world. My dad as well worked on the bridge in the 50s I think it was. I grew up in Newberry and now live just an hour from the bridge. It is gorgeous, we cross it frquently in the spring and Aug, Sept. Oct. Not so much in mosquito season, lol. we have a very tiny cabin on the river way up north.
thanks for sharing, neighbor.
pam

Prims By The Water said...

Bob and I were just saying the other day that we have not had any ice in the river all Winter..last year the ferry to Canada was shut down for 6 weeks because of the ice, which was unual too. We saw 2 freighters tonight..yipee..Spring is truly almost here. Take care Lisa...can't wait to see your WIP's completed.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Beautiful photos Lisa! How cool to live so close to that. We've traveled a few times to Mackinac - enjoyed the island, but driving over that bridge - not so much... ;o) Why they always voted for me to drive over it is beyond me!! Can't wait to see your WIPS "filled out." Do I see more bunneys on the horizon?? ;o) Robin