Saturday, April 14, 2012

THE CHAIR


Found this chair at a garage sale quite a few years ago.  It had been kept outside, so the black paint is wore off most of it.  If anyone out there has any information on this type of chair, I'd sure like to know more about it.


It is very sturdy and very heavy.  There was a label hanging off of the underside, so I took it off and put it somewhere "safe" to preserve it until I could get it refinished properly.  I'll let you know when I remember where somewhere "safe" is.


If you look close, you can see the gold details throughout, or what remain of them.  It looks to be a mess, but there isn't a loose rung or rotten piece on this beauty.


One of my favorite things about the chair is what appears to be a brass medallion embedded in the back that reads: "Lake Superior State University 1946".  (I know where the University is,  as I attended there before I got married).  I searched online years ago and found an article that mentioned "professor chairs".  Was this a chair made for a professor at the University?  Hopefully someday I will learn more about the chair's history and worth and will be able to have it re-finished professionally as it was meant to be.  Can anyone guess how much I paid for The Chair?  (hee hee!)

~*~Lisa



14 comments:

Jackie Proctor said...

Gorgeous chair, I wouldn't and couldn't guess what you paid for it but from that little hee hee at the end it probably wasn't very much. x

Tam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tam said...

I bet you got it free???

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

It's a fabulous chair. It seems to have been made especially for some type of commemoration for someone or something that year. They were maybe given to alumni or as awards??
It will be interesting to find out what they were made for.
Regardless, its a terrific chair!
Hugs,
Susan

Baggaraggs: said...

How much Lisa? Youa nd I may be kindred garabge pickers? LOL That would be me wandering down the street dragging something that I have liberated from my neighbors TRASH heap on Sunday evening. LOL
Thanks for all your lovely comments on my Blog, LOVE YA!
Robin

Trace4J said...

Afternoon Lisa
Oh I love that cool chair.
I am guessing maybe 10.00. Probably too low but..I think you got a deal.
Hugs
Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Tins and Treasures said...

Good afternoon, Lisa,
The chair is fabulous...definitely a family heirloom.

Let's see...the price of an 'old' chair at a rummage sale...did you pay $8.00?

Have a great week! ~Natalie

The Moonlit Stitch said...

You ladies are GOOD! I paid $5 for the chair! ~*~Lisa

Prims By The Water said...

Great find Lisa. The style is similar to the windsor. Will you get it re-finished? Take care, Janice

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Love your $5.oo chair Lisa!!!
I'm a sucker for rocking chairs ~ especially the sewing rockers.
Enjoy ~ It's going to look great when you get it done!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Deb Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Wow Lisa, what a find! Love it and love the medallion, can't wait to hear the story behind it when you learn more about it. It is going to be magnificent when it is refinished, and what a steal at $5.00! Want to go shopping for me LOL? Deb

Bittersweetfolkart said...

What a great find for $5 !!
Enjoy :)

Barb said...

What a deal for $5.00 Lisa. It is a beautiful chair!
I hope you remember where the "safe" place is so that you will be able to share that information.
For me to find the "safe" place would be years down the road!
Enjoy your day,
Barb

TheCrankyCrow said...

Gorgeous chair my friend....I love old chairs of any sort - and rockers - you got me at rock. I can't believe you got that for $5. Do you know how stinkin' lucky you are??? Ummmm - my bet is that it is an alumni chair....For those of us who had/have a tendency to be perpetual students, and are loyal to their Alma mater, that was the thing to do...have a chair from your school. There are several companies who specialize in making them....Good luck tracking it down - and finding your "safe" spot. LOL.... Smiles & Snowy Hugs ~ Robin