Thursday, November 15, 2012

NATIONAL HOLIDAY!

Hunters admire a buck hanging from the pole in front of their hunting shack in Washburn County. Photographed in 1969 by Dean Tvedt.  By WI DNR on Flickr

DIG OUT THE BLAZE ORANGE, IT'S OPENING DAY!
The men grow their beards and build their stands and stock up the deer camp shacks & shanty's with beer and food.  It's opening day of deer season and everyone is hoping to get their buck for the pole!  If anyone says "Ew, I don't like venison!"  They will get the response: "YOU JUST AIN'T NEVER HAD IT COOKED RIGHT!"  Radio stations in Michigan'S Upper Peninsula (and maybe Wisconsin and Minnesota) will play songs like "Da Turdy Point Buck" and "The 2nd Week of Deer Camp" ("...we drink, play cards and shoot da bull, but never shoot no deer!").


A group of deer hunters enjoy a meal around the table in hunting cabin in Florence County. Photographed November, 1943 by Staber W. Reese. By WI DNR on Flickr.


 I love these old pictures.  I remember the days before "blaze orange", then men would wear the red & black wool.  The picture above looks like a Thanksgiving dinner - look at all those happy faces.  

A light dusting of snow we received will help tracking.  Prayers for safety to all hunters this season.

GOOD LUCK! 
~*~Lisa

6 comments:

Firecracker Kid said...

Ahh yes, my hubby is taking his chances in the woods too. He's been watching several bucks with those camera boxes they can stick on trees now. Here's wishing your men a successful and safe hunting season.
Hugs~Carol

peggy said...

I'm glad you posted this. I've been wanting to put my son's deer on but didn't know if it would be interesting to my blog friends. Beautiful day here!

Trace4J said...

Love this post.
My husband and son deer hunt.
Bow and gun. My husband much rather bow. Our freezer is filled and yes it needs to be cooked right. Seasoned and slow.
LOVE red and black wool.
Woolie Hugs
Trace


www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Jackie said...

lol It looks just like Duck opening here. Dad used to tell me hilarious stories of Duck opening back in the 50's and 60's. They wouldn't get away with any of it now days with Health and Safety such a big issue. x

Farmhouse prims said...

Hi Lisa, Does that picture bring back memories. My father used to get so excited for deer season to open. He would be like a kid waiting for Santa the night before.
My hubby is on vacation this week hunting, thanks for sharing the awesome pictures. hugs, Lecia

Prims By The Water said...

Oh how I love the old red and black wool...also like your new header pic too Lisa! I see you have been drawing bunches of patterns too...so sweet. Take care and watch out for those deer. Almost hit a red fox a few weeks back. Janice