Friday, August 23, 2013

CAN YOU SEE IT?

 The picture is grainy, I took it with my phone.  Almost missed it driving by last spring.
Can you see it?
The old farmhouse way out in the middle of a cornfield.  Blending in with the trees, minding it's own business.  Not conforming to today's style or standards.  Stuck in time.
It looks like a bay window on the end...I wonder if the lady of the house put her plants there.  I don't know if I will ever understand the draw these old places have always had on me.  Even as a teenager I would drive around the old country back roads taking pictures of barns and abandoned houses like this one.  

This is the barn next to the house.  Pretty big.  So silent now but I bet there was a lot of hustle & bustle back in the day.  Maybe it is still used for storage as the fields are obviously worked.  

Is it the essence of simpler times or the ideal of hard, honest work and family members working side by side that draws me?  Or maybe it is just the mystery of the past.  

Because I love a good mystery.

Keep an eye open next time you are out for a country drive.  Sometimes these old homesteads are hidden well.  Content to set as they are, letting the world move on ahead.

~*~Lisa

7 comments:

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Morning Lisa - I too feel a draw, as well as a sense of sadness, when I see a once lovely old home going to ruin. I wonder about it's stories...the people who built it, lived there, died there. I'd love to fix them all up and bring them back to life.

Nancy said...

Beautiful photos, Lisa! I love scenes like this! We have lots of them up here on the Canadian prairies! :o)

Barb said...

Fabulous Photos Lisa! I am with you on wondering about the people who lived there and what their "story" was. Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your day,
Barb

peggy said...

Love your pictures, feel the spirit in those old places.

Trace4J said...

I think we may be kindred sisters..
I too love the old.
Oh the stories and love.
I could just drive, seek and find every weekend.
Woolie Hugs

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

I'm also fascinated with old farmhouses/homesteads.
I love what you wrote "
Is it the essence of simpler times or the ideal of hard, honest work and family members working side by side that draws me? Or maybe it is just the mystery of the past." it's poetry!

Jackie said...

I can't imagine how people can walk away and leave some of the beautiful homes you see abandoned. It does make you wonder?????