Saturday, January 25, 2014

FABRIC STUFFING


I've never stuffed with fabric before.  I like the look and feel of dolls that are fabric stuffed - heavy and firm - so I thought I'd finally save my scraps and started shoving them in an empty mason jar on my shelf.  I like the look of it - all the colors and textures popping through the clear glass.  

Today I'd like to know if anyone out there has any tips about stuffing dolls with fabric:
do you use partial fiberfill for the small areas?  
do you cut the scraps into small pieces or just cram it in?
do you use any kind of fabric?

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for sharing! 

~*~Lisa

7 comments:

peggy said...

I can't believe all the scraps we have just tossed out. Who said it was okay to use them to stuff with must be a smart cookie. I only use mine to stuff the lower parts of the doll body and use the poly fil for the head, hands and legs. You are right Lisa, it's a good idea.

lilraggedyangie said...

I use poly for tiny arms n legs...but other than that use your judgement if a piece feels to big cut into strips...Hugs lil raggedy

Jackie said...

I have stuffed a couple of dolls with fabric and cut up tiny bits for small areas. They are flatter and heavier than dolls stuffed with fiberfill. (and bumpier) I used to keep all my scraps in a basket and used them, mostly cotton because that is what I generally sew with. You will need a lot of scrap fabric for a medium size doll so keep saving. xx

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Lisa, love the look of the fabric in the old jar. Sorry no help, never stuffed with fabric, Good Luck, Francine.

Prims By The Water said...

Hi Lisa, I have never stuffed dolls with rags..only pillows. My guess is cut the rags into tiny pieces for the arms and legs. I just don't have the time to do it for my shows. Good luck! Janice

Jessica said...

I save all my fabric scraps too, but I haven't made dolls so I don't know about stuffing them. Some scraps I cut smaller and some I just shove in, I know I'm not being very helpful. Lol.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

I've done a couple of rag stuffed dolls and like you love the weight that they have. I sometimes cut up the scraps into smaller pieces but mostly just stuff them on in. I do use fiberfill for hands, feet, noses, etc. but the scraps work fine for most everywhere else. Happy stuffing :O) Deb