Tuesday, August 12, 2014

DECK CHAIR SPRUCE UP


I held a blowtorch for the first time today.  I must say...I liked it.

My husband bought me the two deck chairs above for my bday at least a decade ago.  They are in great shape and I love them, except they are very faded from the weather.  I've tried painting plastic outdoor furniture with that special plastic-furniture-paint, and it works great, but it takes a lot of paint and can be expensive.  I think I seen this idea on Pinterest.  

The chair on the right was the exact color as the chair on the left before I took a blowtorch to it.  You paint it with the flame just like you were spray painting and it melts the plastic just enough to breathe a little bit of color back into it.  Not sure how long it will last, and you can see the flame strokes in areas, but it's a little better than it was.  

If you try this, keep in mind all of the safety precautions when dealing with gas, fire, toxic fumes, yadda-yadda-yadda.  I did not torch the chair in the dry grass but instead on the cement in the garage with the door open and away from any flamables.

Yay.  Blowtorch fun.

~*~ Lisa

5 comments:

Raymond Homestead said...

Looks good! Never heard of that method!

Blessings in the Country said...

That is neat! I've never heard of this before. The chair does look practically new again.
~Jessica

Trace4J said...

What a brave girl are you,
Too fun.
Woolie hugs

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Well who-da-thunk-it! Don't think I'll try it right now with the fire danger at extreme but a great project to try in the nice cool wet autumn or spring :O) Hope you didn't get scorched!

Prims By The Water said...

Wow..not sure if I could tackle something like this, but it looks good. Janice