Friday, March 13, 2015

MUSLIN


I've been wanting to try and dye some muslin with Rit dye for some time now.  I know lots of crafters/artists use this technique but I've been hesitant.  My dear friend Patti, who is one of my biggest encouragers, supporters and sources of inspiration, convinced me to go ahead and try it out last week.  Why I waited for so long I don't know - well, yes I do.  I'm chicken and dye is so permanent.  My test muslin is pictured above and I'm real happy with the results.  Lately the coffee staining technique has gotten too spotty for some projects and I'm looking for more of an "even" stain.  I'm in need of another large muslin purchase (break out that Joann's coupon) and will be dying the whole lot when I get it home for sure!

So if you've been wanting to try something different or new, but just aren't sure, go ahead and test it out!  

(Reminder that there's another week left for my Cinn-Bunn giveaway!  Enter by clicking on the link at the top of my right hand sidebar!)

TGIF Buddies!
~*~Lisa

8 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Lisa, dive right in, I love the fabric of Muslin. Happy Weekend, Francine.

Angela said...

Great idea Lisa. Duh, I never thought of it. Do you mind sharing what color you used on the muslin to get the coffee stain look? How nice when ready to do a project and all the material is already grunged. I really hate that part with the coffee. So messy. Just stocked up on muslin at Joanns myself. Have a great weekend.
Angela

countercrafts said...

Hi! I have been wanting to try this also and wondered if you could share your "recipe". Ratio of water to dye and the color of the dye you used. Thank you so much! Take Care and God Bless!

Debby said...

My sweet bunny came today. I renamed her Millie. I have no idea where I came up with that. I even posted about her on my blog http://cozyblanket.blogspot.com/
She is just the cutest bunny ever. I like her egg and carrot too, those were a surprise. I just love her. Thanks so much.

Jackie said...

Your Muslin turned out really well. Sorry I haven't been to visit for a while, been a tad busy. xx

Primitive at Heart said...

Hi Lisa, You're also my dearest friend and my biggest encourager, supporter and sources of inspiration. I'm so glad you tried it and liked it. Now here comes the fun part. Get your butt in that craft room and make some more bunnies and eggs....LOL
Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Btw, I wish you were here with me to do my first show.

~♥~ Patti

Peppercorn Primitives said...

I love how your muslin turned out. I would have been nervous I using the Rit dye. I definitely think it's better to dye it beforehand. I don't always like how mine turns out if I coffee stain things after I get them sewn up.

Andrea

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

I used Rit dye to stain some muslin to make some little pumpkin bowl fillers last year, it came out a little paler than I was expecting but the muslin took the colour very well. I've never tried staining it to get a 'coffee stain' look but yours looks great! Happy staining!