Wednesday, March 23, 2016

TIP: DIY THREAD HOLDER

Been wanting a thread holder for a long time.  Haven't wanted to spend money on one. Because I am cheap frugal.  So I finally decided to make one for myself.  It was so easy!
Found a paddle-shaped piece of wood at Hobby Lobby - they have so many different shapes to choose from.  With my coupon I only paid $4 for it.


For the spool holders I used wooden chopsticks I had on hand for crafting.  You can get huge bag of them for next to nothing.  I measured the length and width of the board.  Measured how much space I would need for each spool of thread, and divided the length by that amount which happened to be 1 3/4 inches.  I then marked the board every 1 3/4 inches.  Then I sat a thread spool in each marked out space and made a center mark by sticking a dowel with a dab of paint on the end down through the spool.  My husband found a drill bit that matched the size of the chopsticks.  I figured I would need to drill halfway down the width of the board, which was a 1/4 inch, marked the drill bit 1/4 inch with a piece of masking tape and drilled 1/4 inch down on each mark.  


I measured each chopstick so that it was long enough to hold a spool of thread with a matching bobbin plus the 1/4 inch that would be inserted into the base.  The chopsticks are very easy to clip with a pair of snips or heavy duty scissors.  I didn't have to use glue to secure the chopsticks in the base as they fit so snug but normally I would suggest that.

I apologize for not having step by step pics but really this project was so simple, I just wanted to give you an idea of how easy it would be for you to make your own.  I do plan to paint the holder a shabby white and use the hole in the handle to hang it on the wall above my sewing desk.

I guess this would be my "make do" thread holder - a step up from the shoe box!  LOL
Thanks for stopping by!

~*~Lisa

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh Well done. Yours is a step up from mine which is a piece of wood with nails banged into it. xx

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Lisa, what a great idea, love your thread holder.Blessings Francine.

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

What a great idea Lisa!

Sonia Parham said...

Awesome project! Thanks for sharing. :)

Prims By The Water said...

This is a great idea Lisa! Now you can use your shoe boxes for something else. Hope you have a great Easter! Janice

peggy said...

I especially like it because it has a place for the bobbins. Mine doesn't, but was made by a gentleman crafter, so that explains it. And I like it because you made it!